Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Discovering Mission-Driven Marketing

By: Jenny Barish

Marketing has always played an integral role in my life. As a youngster, I was always receptive to television ads, and I was easily swayed by commercials, begging my mother for the newest Princess Barbie (much to my mother’s dismay) or Tamagachi (remember those?). In high school, I took a sports marketing course and found that the concepts came naturally. And for the Chicago Metro History Fair my junior year of high school, I chose to further explore the world of marketing—persuading my all- female project -mates to research Bill Veeck, the infamous manger of the Chicago White Sox who revolutionized promotional glitz and glamour. We made it all the way to the national competition, and my affinity to the marketing industry grew even stronger. Marketing seemed to be my niche. I loved the innovation, excitement, and psychology of it all, and at the young age of 17, there was no question that this was my calling.

When it came time to pick a college, I found my place at Ithaca College, a midsize private institution in central New York with killer views and an even more killer communications program. But as I studied business theories and the strategic model of communication alongside women’s studies and environmental destruction, I came to a quarter-life existential crisis. This all sounds very typical— the whole adolescent-coming-to-an-end-of-childhood-moment-and wants to fight against the system type of thing. But it was a real conundrum, and the more I learned about economic imbalance and over-consumption, the more I started to question the whole field of marketing. Was I just feeding the beast? I didn’t want to sell people more products and help contribute to more environmental crises or create more media-influenced perceptions about economic worth or gender norms (whew, as you can see this was quite the aha moment). Were all my childhood aspirations completely false and misinformed?

After my panic passed, I sat down and did what I do best: Facebook stalking. I came across an Alumni Group for Ithaca College, and I found that someone had responded to a posting I had made months ago about wishing to pursue a summer internship. It was John Davidoff, and he directed me to his company’s website, a “mission-driven marketing” firm based in Chicago that specialized in strategic non-profit/corporate partnership, sales consulting, and integrated marketing. I had no idea that this even existed, and as I further researched Davidoff Communications I was not only educated about an entire new sector of the communication industry, but I was reassured that I could be in marketing and not be a part of everything I had grown to hate. As I continue my work at Davidoff, my faith in cause marketing is constantly reaffirmed. I have seen how our work positively impacts the non-profit clients that work so hard to make a difference, and my hunger to use my research, rhetoric, and strategic thinking for good has grown even stronger.

No comments: